Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros and Cons of Serving in the Military: Is The Sacrifice Worth The Payoff?

Having been off active duty since May 2011, I have had the desire to re-evaluate my own personal decision to join United States Marine Corps. While it is impossible to change any decisions we have made in life it always worthwhile to extrapolate what lessons we can from those decisions, and also understand and appreciate the ramifications of those choices. By being aware of how the past can dictate the future, it is always important to take stock, from time to time, of our own choices in life, and share what we have learned with others.

Initially I think it would be beneficial to list the pros of military service:


  • Gain valuable life experience that few others will
  • Enjoy education benefits for college
  • Ability to travel/visit multiple countries for free
  • Become a more competitive applicant when applying for jobs
  • Are more aware of foreign policy realities
  • Gain an appreciation for this country that few people can match

True these are only a few of the main benefits, but they encapsulate the larger good that comes from joining the military. My desire to continue onto a career in public service stems from my time in the Marine Corps. For many former military members the opportunities presented to them to help their community, and country, leaves them with the desire to continue that line of work. That explains why many veterans continue onto careers as police officers, firefighters, and paramedics. They combine their desire to be an active person with their willingness to sacrifice for the greater good. However, military service is not divorced from any negative consequences. The toll military life can takes on its service members, especially during times of prolonged conflict, can be great.

Below is a short list of the cons of military service:

  • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Higher likelihood of suicide, and substance abuse
  • Places enormous strain on personal relationships
  • Combat
  • Feelings of loneliness and isolation after leaving military
  • Transition to civilian life is not always easily made

Again these are not all of the negative consequences of military service, but they do generally highlight one of the main issues that is a result of serving in the military. Most people will join right after high school and will leave whatever life they knew behind. While that individual is going on 1, or, 2, or 3, or even 4 deployments their friends are successively going through college at the same rate. You experiences in life began to wildly differ and the disconnect begins. Although technology allows for the ability to call friends and family much more easier than before it does not provide the necessary relief. The military member's day to day life is in a constant state of preparation for combat, while his or her friends are studying for the next exam, securing the next internship, or planning their upcoming spring break. 

So at the end of the day did I make the right decision? Was the five years spent serving as a U.S. Marine worth the sacrifice?

While I was still in the answer seemed clear, absolutely not. My friends were getting the best of both worlds, while I was packing my bags for another deployment. However, my attitude has changed since leaving the military and I have began to fully appreciate all that it offered me. Most obvious is the free education that I am currently enjoying. The worry of student loans and paying toff that debt after I graduate is not something I am concerned about it. Additionally, the pride that I have taken away from being a U.S. infantry Marine is something that I will have for the rest of my life. I was fortunate enough to take part in a piece of history while serving in Afghanistan. While the reasons why we were there, and what we actually accomplished will always open for debate, the point is that I was there. When my kids are in school, and their history teacher talks about the war in Afghanistan, they will have the opportunity to ask me what it was really like. That is an experience that I would not trade anything for.

So in sum, the sacrifice was worth the payoff for me. Everyone's situation will be different and each person will make what what they will of their own military experience. I for one would not have done anything differently. I would not be who I am today, or have the opportunities that I do without those five years spent as a U.S. Marine.

If you are considering whether to join the military think long and hard about. Be honest with yourself about what you want of out it, and what you are willing to sacrifice. If at the end of the day you are willing to leave the life you know and be part of something much bigger then yourself, then by all means do it. But don't say I did warn you that there will be some tough days ahead for you.

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you mentioned one of the greatest benefits has been the free education you received as a result of your years of service. I had read somewhere before that those who joined the military specifically for the tangible benefits were more likely to feel unsatisfied by their time in the military. I suppose it works for you and you're able to reflect positively on your time in the military because of that initial itch to be of service to others. Still I can't help to think that it might not be such a good idea for someone to join the military specifically to gain from some of the benefits. If someone were to serve and comeback with a life changing injury, would they have been satisfied with their initial decision to join based on the tangible benefits? I suppose its tough to say and only people in those circumstances would know. I also come across people unsatisfied with their experience because they initially believed in the cause but came back disillusioned feeling that it wasn't worth it to spend all those resources on a lost cause. I guess what I'm trying to say is there are a number of different reasons why some people choose to join the military, some good/some bad, and I think choosing to serve for the sake of serving others is very honorable. It is also probably most likely to lead to feelings of satisfaction, regardless of what condition one returns in from service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have never considered the cons of joining the military expect the potential of death. My brother was considering joining the Navy for a long time, as I come from a Navy family dating back over a hundred years. I do not think that he ever considered the negative things that he would experience during his time serving our country. I do think it is great that the military provides free education for members of the service, but I do not think that should be a reason for someone to enlist. If your heart is not in it, and you are not going for the sole purpose of protecting our country, I think that you are doing it for the wrong reason. I know a lot of people from my high school that enlisted because they weren't ready to go to college, and they hate every second they have been involved in the military. I also know people in my family that grew up waiting for the day where they could enlist because they wanted to serve our country and they just love America. I think if more people know about the cons of enlisting, they will be less likely to do it for the free school they get as the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have family in the military and friends who are considering joining, and I think this post is great for looking at the different sides of such a decision. I appreciate those in the military greatly, and I am so proud of our service men and women, because I know that is a tough job. I am glad that military men and women are given benefits, and I think that everything that can be done for those people after their service should be done. I am constantly concerned about the negative effects that military men and women experience, and I plan on becoming more involved in the future in programs that may provide help for people experiencing PTSD, etc. I think you are right in saying that it is a decision that should really be thought through, because it is not one to take lightly.

    ReplyDelete